TANGO Member Showcase - December 2022
American School for the Deaf
Founded in 1817 as the nation’s first permanent school for the deaf and the birthplace of American Sign Language, the American School for the Deaf (ASD) is a comprehensive learning community that welcomes all deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing children with unique communication needs. We develop the whole child – intellectually, emotionally, physically, and socially. ASD is a leader in providing innovative programs and services for deaf and hard of hearing students, empowering them to become educated and self-directed lifelong learners.
Services We Provide
- Pre-K through 12th grade academic program for deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Residential Treatment Program for deaf and hard of hearing children (ages 6-22) with behavioral and emotional challenges.
- Autism Expansion program for hearing autistic children who benefit from visual communication methods, including American Sign Language.
- Bilingual learning environment with instruction offered in both American Sign Language and written/spoken English.
- Statewide Birth-to-Three program offering comprehensive home and community-based services for deaf and hard of hearing infants and children (from birth to age three) and their families.
- Online Academy – the first accessible online education platform serving deaf and hard of hearing students all over the world.
- Camp Isola Bella – summer camp for deaf and hard of hearing campers between the ages of 8 – 17.
- Established the Online Academy to allow for access to deaf education for deaf and hard of hearing students everywhere.
- Established Telecare program to provide accessible therapeutic supports for deaf and hard of hearing children, including counseling, audiology, speech therapy.
- Established a recent partnership with the CT Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Program to increase outreach and support for families of deaf and hard of hearing children across the state.
TANGO’s Impact American School for the Deaf
Support from our many community partners, such as TANGO, makes a critical difference in allowing ASD to provide the best possible education and support for deaf and hard of hearing students.