TANGO Member Showcase - October 2023
Community Mental Health Affiliates (CMHA)
Founded in 1975, CMHA is a premier Joint Commission accredited, DPH-licensed non-profit behavioral health care provider that responds to emerging community needs with evidence-based and innovative programs. CMHA serves as the Local Mental Health Authority (LMHA) for Catchment Area 19 in Central Connecticut, and the agency has over 50 years’ experience successfully providing recovery-oriented, culturally aware and gender informed, trauma-focused mental health and substance use care to underserved individuals and families struggling to face life’s challenges.
CMHA is a leader in the human services community, and our agency provides more than 7,500 individuals, children, and families with life-changing services every year. CMHA operates over 40+ unique programs that include, but are not limited to: case management, medication assisted treatment for individual affected by Opioid Use Disorder, shool-based therapy services for youth, short-term supportive housing for people experiencing homelessness, and long term residential services for disabled adults.
CMHA’s mission is “to be a leading provider of an integrated health and behavioral health care system for children, families, and adults. By fostering improvement in the quality of life for its clients, CMHA contributes to the well-being of the communities it serves.”
CMHA provides an array of behavioral health, substances use disorder, and wellness services for people of all ages, including:
- School-Based Case Management Services (Middle, Elementary, and High School)
- Housing Support & Wrap Around Care for Homeless, At-Risk Individuals
- Young Adult Supportive Services
- Child & Family Therapy and Counseling
- Long-term Residential Programs
- Short-Term Housing and Respite Care
- Intensive Adult Outpatient Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Spanish-Speaking Individual and Group Therapy
- CMHA was recognized by the Greater New Britain Chamber of Commerce as the 2022 Nonprofit Organization of the Year.
- Out of over 50 schools and community-based providers, CMHA’s school-based services staff received three Individual Recognition Awards and two Team Recognition Awards at the Child Health & Development Institute’s (2023) Rebuilding Children’s Behavioral Health Through Care & Innovation. The agency’s school-based teams provide Cognitive Behavioral Intervention for Trauma in Schools (CBITS) and Bounce Back, two highly effective Evidence-Based Practices (EBPs), directly within participating school districts across central CT
- Successfully completed intensive renovations and upgrades at a former convalescent home in order to transform it into Kensington Gardens, CMHA’s newest residential program location. This state of the art facility now houses two long-term residential programs and a crisis respite wing. The crisis respite unit will help to address the ongoing accessibility and overcrowding issues faced by Central CT’s emergency rooms and hospitals, providing individuals experiencing psychiatric crisis with high-quality, short-term care, supervision, medication management and treatment.
- CMHA recently expanded and renovated its Child Guidance Clinic in Waterbury CT. CMHA is the only provider of EDT (Extended Day Treatment), Multi-Dimensional Family Therapy, and other special behavioral programs for children and families that continue to be in high demand but hard to access. CMHA’s Child Guidance Clinic now has separate, dedicated spaces for these child & family services, complete with a sensory room and other supportive amenities that help kids in their Recovery journey.
TANGO continues to support our agency in many ways, including through its informative seminars, training opportunities, conferences, and Rising Star Scholarship. Two CMHA staff members have received TANGO’s scholarship since it’s origination, and those individuals have since completed their higher education goals or are actively enrolled in courses that are helping to guide and empower them in their nonprofit roles. Between the scholarships and the ongoing educational opportunities, CMHA has been able to strategize and act on how to better support our staff, clients, and overarching communities in an ever-changing nonprofit world.
Contact Us Today!
Community Mental Health Affiliates (CMHA)
233 Main Street, New Britain, CT 06051
860.826.1358 (Administrative) – 860.224.8192 (Programmatic, for Referrals)
For more information visit our Website at Cmhacc.org