TANGO Member Showcase - March 2022
The Kennedy Center
2021 marked the 70th Anniversary of the Kennedy Center. Since first opening in 1951, The Kennedy Center has remained steadfast in our mission of serving and creating opportunity for people with disabilities through our Adult and Community Services, Workforce Development, and Business Enterprise divisions. Today, The Kennedy Center provides services, supports and employment to more than 2,000 individuals annually in more than 110 communities throughout Connecticut and the State of New York.
Services We Provide
- Life-changing supports and programs for individuals and their families through our in-home, day and residential programs
- Breakdown barriers to employment and support the hiring of individuals with diverse abilities through our Business Enterprises including:
- Kennedy Employment Services
- Warehouse Management, Distribution & Custom Kitting Services
- Grounds & Landscaping Maintenance Services
- Kenn Kleen Janitorial Service
- Soups and Such Café and Catering Service
- KennDoc Document & Shredding Services
- Palm & Able Thrift Shop & E-Commerce
- Autism-specific programming that encourages teens, young adults, and their parents to gather, learn and engage with others
- Vibrant, creative, and artistic exploration through the Maggie Daly Arts Cooperative (MDAC)
- Youth to young adult transition programming for soon-to-be high school graduates
Accomplishments in the Nonprofit Community:
During the pandemic, The Kennedy Center proactively responded to our ever-changing environment by tapping into our most valuable resource – our people – to adapt, resolve and carry on the mission Evelyn Kennedy established 70 years ago of creating pathways for people with disabilities to flourish and thrive in their communities. Most recently we:
- Served over 2,000 individuals with disabilities through our in-home, 16 Day and 15 Residential Programs
- Established new protocols to ensure the health and safety of our staff and the individuals we serve
- With vaccination availability, we reopened 16 program sites and that serve over 220 individuals
- Created virtual programming that allowed us to continue to offer music, art, science, and current events, etc., to the individuals we serve, keeping them connected with friends and staff
- Assumed management responsibilities of Pathfinder Associates, in Derby CT, a 501(c) (3) corporation that provides supervised homes as teaches individuals with disabilities the skills necessary to support engagement and employment in the community
- Celebrated the 39th anniversary of our beloved “A Unique Perspective” Calendar which provides a platform for artists of all abilities to showcase their talents
- Awarded a federal agency contract to supply Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to their nearly 400 locations
- Created new employment opportunities for people with disabilities through our Business Enterprise Division and Kennedy Employment Services
- Opened Palm & Able Thrift Stores in Shelton and Trumbull, CT and online at https://palmandable.com/
- Established a partnership with Paratore Enterprises, Inc. (PEI) to bring SafePass San-Air products to federal and state government agencies, branches of the military and law enforcement throughout the U.S.
- Partnered with Boost Oxygen, a “Shark Tank” business seeking a workforce solution to complete intermittent packaging, assembly, and order fulfillment
- Partnered with UV Engineering to complete the final inspection and assembly of UV Lights and upgrade the fixtures with the necessary protective coating.
How Has TANGO Impacted Your Organization
The Kennedy Center is grateful to Tango for their work in promoting nonprofits by highlighting the vital work we do. Tango offers much needed, insightful, educational resources and services that help us adapt and thrive in an ever-changing non-profit world.
The Kennedy Center is honored to work with our amazing stakeholders and grateful to our generous and committed donors for their unwavering support. Most importantly, we are deeply inspired by the individuals we serve who teach us that every life is sacred and precious and who embody the definition of resilience every day.